|[Home] [Family Name Index]|
|Solomon GLYDE (1650 - 1706)|
|Gent of Beckley|
|b. 1650 at Ninfield, Sussex|
|m. 22 May 1688 Sarah TICEHURST (1668 - 1744) at All Saints, Lewes, Sussex, England|
|d. 16 Jun 1706 at Dallington, Sussex, England aged 56|
|Events in Solomon GLYDE (1650 - 1706)'s life|
|1650||Solomon GLYDE was born||Ninfield, Sussex||37|
|20 May 1658||8||Death of father Solomon GLYDE (aged 38)||Brightling, Sussex||123|
|22 May 1688||38||Married Sarah TICEHURST (aged 20)||All Saints, Lewes, Sussex, England||37|
|1689||39||Birth of daughter Mary GLYDE||Ninfield, Sussex|
|1690||40||Birth of son John GLYDE||Ninfield, Sussex|
|1691||41||Birth of daughter Sarah GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex, England||37, 119|
|1691||41||Death of son John GLYDE (aged 1)|
|1692||42||Birth of son Thomas GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex|
|1693||43||Birth of son Solomon GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex|
|1694||44||Death of son Solomon GLYDE (aged 1)||Dallington, Sussex|
|1695||45||Birth of daughter Ann GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex, England|
|1696||46||Birth of son Solomon GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex|
|1698||48||Birth of son Samuel GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex|
|1699||49||Birth of daughter Catheriine GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex|
|1701||51||Birth of son Richard GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex|
|1701||51||Death of daughter Mary GLYDE (aged 12)||Dallington, Sussex|
|12 Dec 1701||51||Death of son Richard GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex||119|
|1703||53||Birth of daughter Elizabeth GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex, England|
|1705||55||Birth of son John GLYDE||Dallington, Sussex|
|30 Apr 1705||55||Death of daughter Ann GLYDE (aged 10)||Dallington, Sussex, England|
|30 Apr 1705||55||Death of daughter Elizabeth GLYDE (aged 2)||Dallington, Sussex, England||119|
|1706||56||Death of son John GLYDE (aged 1)||Dallington, Sussex|
|16 Jun 1706||56||Solomon GLYDE died||Dallington, Sussex, England|
Solomon GLYD (c1650-1706)and Ann BOYCE (1649-?)and Sarah TICEHURST (1668-1744)
Originally submitted by hollywales1 (Ancestry,com) to Deborah M Blackford on 23 Oct 2007
Solomon Glyd and Sarah Ticehurst were my 8x Great Grandparents. They married by licence on 22 May 1688 at All Saints in Lewes, Sussex. Their marriage licence was issued on 15 May 1688 by the Archdeaconry of Lewes, which recorded that Solomon was of Ninfield, Sussex and Sarah of Ashburnham, Sussex. Solomon may have previously Ann Boyce on 4 March 1674/5 in Rye, Sussex. She was then a spinster.
Solomon Glyd's date and place of birth/baptism are unknown, to me, but he may have been born at Spratters in Hooe, Sussex sometime between 1637 and 1654. His baptism was not recorded in the Hooe or Ashburnham parish registers. The Ninfield registers begin in 1663, but Bishop's Transcripts survive for the years 1599-1640. Solomon was most probably the only son and heir of Solomon Glydd and ? Drinker. Solomon senior was a yeoman of Ninfield when he made his will in November 1654, which was proved on 20 May 1658. Solomon junior was under 21 in 1658 and it would seem his mother had died before 1654. Solomon was buried on 16 June 1706 in Dallington. Solomon Glyd, gent of Beckly, Sussex, sold Spratters to Jeremy Hart of Hooe in 1678. In Solomon senior's will he mentioned his brother John Glydd and his 4 children, Thomas Glydd, Richard Glydd, Jeffery Glydd and Ann Glydd. (So far I have not found baptisms for the 2 brothers, which I would guess was in the 1620's, nor either of their marriages, nor the baptisms of John's 4 children.)
It has been suggested that Solomon was the son of Richard Glyd (c1628-1658) and Anne Stoughton (c1632-1711), but according to Richard's father's will of 1666, Richard and Ann only had 1 son and he was named John.
Ann Boys was baptised on 7 February 1648/9 in Rye. She was the daughter of Thomas Boyse and Elizabeth Miller.
Sarah Ticehurst was baptised on 15 May 1668 in Ashburnham, Sussex. She was the daughter of John Ticehurst (1630-1714) and Ann Durrent (c1640-1672). Sarah was most probably born at Batchelors in Ashburnham. She left a will dated 8 February 1713/4, which was proved on 20 April 1745. In her will she styled herself as Sarah Glyd of Dallington, relect of Solomon Glyd, gent. Sarah Glyde was buried on 12 June 1644 in Dallington.
Solomon Glyd and Sarah Ticehurst had 12 known children:
1. Mary Glyd was baptised on 8 May 1689 in Ninfield. She may have been buried on 21 December 1701 in Dallington.
2. John Glyd was baptised on 26 March 1690 in Ninfield and probably died young.
3. Sarah Glyde, my 7x Great Grandmother, was baptised on 9 May 1691 in Dallington. She married Stephen Tutt in 1715. (They have their own page.)
4. Thomas Glyde was baptised on 6 January 1692/3 in Dallington. He was sole executor to his mother's will. In 1746 he was of Surrey.
5. Solomon Glyd was baptised on 18 March 1693/4 in Dallington and buried there on 17 June 1694.
6. Anne Glyde was baptised on 8 May 1695 in Dallington.
7. Solomon Glyde was baptised on 26 February 1696/7 in Dallington. He may have been buried on 21 August 1759 in Dallington. He may have had an illegitmate son by Sarah Morris:
1. Solomon Morris was baptised on 29 January 1726 in Ashburnham, Sussex.
As Solomon Gleed he married Sarah Mepham by licence on 16 June 1730 at St. Anne's in Lewes, Sussex. He was then a yeoman of Ashburnham and she of Mayfield. In 1746 he was of Battle, Sussex and in that year his brother Thomas conveyed, to him, the property known as Glydes in Ashburnham. Solomon was still in occupation of Glydes in 1755.
8. Samuel Glyde was baptised on 10 September 1698 in Dallington. He may have been buried on 27 October 1727 in Dallington.
9. Catherine Glyde was baptised on 25 February 1699/1700 in Dallington.
10. Richard Glyde was baptised on 7 August 1701 in Dallington and buried there 12 December 1701.
11. Elizabeth Glyd was baptised on 5 August 1703 in Dallington and buried there on 30 April 1705.
12. John Glid was baptised on 20 October 1705 in Dallington and buried there on 18 May 1706.
The following has been copied from the A2A web site:
FILE - Fine - ref. ASH/4501/1106 - date: 1696
Between JOHN BUTLER, querent, and SOLOMON GLYD, gent., and SARA his wife, JOHN CHRISTIAN and MARGERY his wife and JOHN FOSTER and JOAN FOSTER, deforciants, of 9 messuages, 1 toft, 2 barns, 10 gardens, 5 orchards, 40 ac. of land, 10 ac. of meadow and 30 ac. of pasture in Ashburnham and Burwash
The Story of Solomon GLYDE created on Wednesday 07-May-08 at 20:43
|37. Type: Web Page, Title: Genes Reunited Website, Locn: http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/genesreunited.asp?WCI=YourHome|
|- Reference = Venessa Young's Tree (Birth)|
|- Reference = Venessa Young's Tree (Marriage)|
|Created on a Mac™ using iFamily for Leopard™ on 03 Feb 2016|